Thursday, April 14, 2011

Challenged to run!

First, a summary of events until today:

26th of March. I was challenged by a friend to participate in a crazy Alpine Run covering 270 km of distance and 15 km of altitude. Hmm.. in 2012? Sounds impossible. What a moron..

28th of March. I decided to take on the challenge. Why not? Life is for living. I went for my first run in a veeeery long time. Last summer my right ankle got badly sprained, which gave me a good excuse to be lazy for months on months. It felt good to ecxercise, no trouble from the old injury. I jogged 6,2 km in 42 minutes.

30th of March. Upping the antes. Went for a 8 km run and finished in 53 minutes. Game on :)

2nd of April. I bought a bicycle, last years Merida CC3, to get some cardio and cross training from commuting to work. Went for a 17 km test ride with the bike. Smooth and nice, but the saddle is a pain in the ass. Mental note: got to get a pair of those padded cycling pants.

3rd of April. Went for a 7 km run early in the morning. I just couldn't wait to get out training! After a couple of kilometers my shins were killing me. Real pain. I decided to slow down not to risk injury. Fast walked my way back home. Got a total of 4,5 km. I had a burning sensation in my shins for a while afterwards, good thing I didn't try to force trough.

4th of April. 18 km bike ride, commuting to work 2 x 9 km. Rainy with a temperature of +5 c. Felt really good. Energetic at work.

5th of April. 18 km bike ride. Went for a 8 km run immediately afterwards. Not a good idea according to my calves. They were complaining pretty much right away from the start, so I decided to shorten the run. Got 6,5 km of jogging, and really sore claves.

7th of April. 18 km bike ride. Or that's what I had planned. On my way home from work something happened. While traversing the street and looking out for traffic my front wheel jammed in the streetcar rails. Whee.. *crash*. Shock. PAIN. Cursing. I couldn't believe I had faceplanted with my new bike. Well, I did. My left arm wouldn't co-opearate and I had no battery in my cell so I walked the remaining 4 km. Later the doctor told me the radial head in my arm is broken. Splendid. What about my plans? Time to give up? Never. I still have my legs to work with.

10th of April. Went for an 8 km walk with my arm in a sling. The fracture is very painful and I have almost no motion in the arm. Walking is a great way to get distracted from the pain. I get some low range cardio and some endorphines for the pain. Also it fatigues the body and makes me sleep better. Sleeping is very difficult because of the pain.

11th of April. 13 km walk.

12th of April. Had a second opinion about the arm from an orthopedic surgeon. Turns out it is fractured in three different places, all around the elbow. The doctor prohibited me from working before 2nd of May. Because of sleep deprivation and side effects (dizziness and nausea) from painkillers affecting the nervous system. Obviously I'm very slow with the computer also, only having one functioning arm.

In the afternoon I went for an 8 km walk equipped with my new Polar F11 heart rate monitor. Kept an average pace of 68 % of maximum heart rate.

13th of April. 8 km speedwalk at 76 % of mhr.

1 comment: