Sunday, May 8, 2011

5K Race to Half Marathon Target

Today I raced a 5K. Actually it was a hard tempo run. Check out the specs. I wanted to test my running fitness/ability now that I have built a foundation of slow easy runs. I went for 25 minutes but finished in 26:23. So can I jump to some conlusions from this?

According to the McMillan Running Calculator a 5K race time (or any race time for that matter) can provide the runner with target estimates for other distances. You can use the calculator to determine target paces for your training runs as well. This is what it looks like for me:

  

Hmm.. 22:4 for 100 meters. I could do better than that. So it seems the calculator underestimates on the shorter distances and thus might overestimate on the longer ones. A marathon at 4:17:12 in my current state. I don't think so. Runner's World also offers a similar service. Let's have a look at my values:

Wow! I'm in better shape than I taught. Runners World is even more optimistic and believes I could finsh the half marathon at 2:01:09.  That's great news for me. As my half marathon is still eight weeks away, I'll have time to shape up and do a sub two hour half marathon at the 2nd of July. Hell. Theese numbers indicate I should beat my partner for the trail marathon. He just finished Helsinki City Run yesterday in 2:05:53. He looked a bit shagged at 15km, and I suspect he has spent more time training than me. So I don't feel that confident about theese numbers. Curiosity wakes up and shakes its head.

What is really neat about the Runers World calculator is that it gives you a training program if you register. So I eagerly registered for the half marathon program. This is what it looks like:



So, if I just slave to that program I'll beat two hours at the half marathon! Sounds simple. How convenient, my last long run was 16km (although way much slower). All right, let's put it to a test. I set my target for the Paavo Nurmi half marathon at a sub 2h finish, or more specifically at 1:56:18. 

Stay tuned to see how it plays out. 

I can't slave that calendar. I have already ramped up quite a bit and was thinking of next week as a step down week. There are some parties coming up in between as well... I'll make some adjustments and keep the targets though. It'll be fun to see this one through.

3 comments:

  1. cmon216.7.11

    mcmillan etc calculators don't predict anything, these simply calculate equal performances for different distances.


    in my opinion a 26min 5K virtually never results in a sub-2 half marathon, not many people have that kind of perfect endurance profile with low-ish vo2max pace (which 26min 5K would mean).


    but, sooner or later you will have that sub-2 half and even better times! :) keep going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cmon216.7.11

    actually, not sure that was the right expression here. I'm sure it's a lot more "sooner" than "later". :) as that 2:19 could have been quite a few minutes better in cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marathon Training Plan I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete